Welcome to Online Permitting
Marin County Building and Safety Permits
Apply for all building permits using one of the options below.
PV, ESS, and Generator permits have been added to our Self-Service permits.
Use the link below to login to our self-service automated site to apply for permits that may be issued online.
See Permit Types Available Here
Limited-scope residential permits for the purpose of a dwelling’s maintenance that do not require the preparation or review of plans.
- New Circuits and/or Outlets
- Replace Circuits and/or Outlets
- Service Upgrade
- EV Charging Station
- Natural Gas Service
- New Plumbing and/or Fixtures
- Replace Plumbing and/or Fixtures
- New Ductwork
- Replace Ductwork
- New Mechanical Appliance
- Replace Mechanical Appliance
- Siding Replacement
- Stucco Replacement
- Non-structural Door / Window Replacement
Electronic (Photographic) Inspection Option
When a California Licensed Contractor is applying for a ‘Reroofing’ or ‘EV Charging Station’ permit, we allow the contractor to choose electronic (photographic) inspections in lieu of site inspections.
Minor Improvement Permits
Specific larger-scope residential alterations where the permit may be issued online, but plans are still required for the inspectors to reference during site inspections.
- Residential Rooftop Photovoltaic Installations
- Energy Storage System Installations
- Backup Generator Installations
PERMITS REQUIRING PLANS AND REVIEW
Use the link below to submit an online application for building permits that require electronic plans and review prior to issuing.
See Permit Types Available Here
Area-Based Construction Permits
Combined scopes of work where the County’s cost to provide permitting services varies depending on the square feet affected by the construction activities. For the following permit types permitting fees are determined based on the gross area affected.
- Commercial Uses
- Commercial/Multifamily Residential Uses
- Commercial/Industrial Storage Uses
- Attached/Detached Accessory Uses
- Agricultural Uses
- Commercial SHELL Construction
- Commercial Non-structural Tenant Improvements
- Single Family Dwellings
- Structural Residential Remodels/Additions
- Non-structural Residential Remodels/Alterations
Flat-Rate Improvement Permits
Specific scopes of work where the County’s cost to provide permitting services is not related to the square feet affected by the construction activities. For the following permit types permitting fees are determined based on the County’s flat-rate cost to provide permitting services.
- Commercial Coach Installation
- Uncovered Deck/Patio
- Flag/Light/Sign Pole
- Manufactured Home
- Factory/Modular Home
- Retaining Walls
- Minor Repairs
- Skylight Installation
- Structural Pool/spa/Hot Tub
- Commercial Storage Racks
- Structural Window/Door Openings
- Barge Transfer
- Above Ground Tank
- Miscellaneous Permits/Services
Office Hours: Mon-Thu 8:00 A.M. – 4:00 P.M. and Fri 8:00 A.M. – Noon.
Issuance of building permits stops half an hour prior to closing.
Mailing Address: 3501 Civic Center Drive, Suite 308, San Rafael, CA 94903-4157
Office Location: Marin County Civic Center, Room 308, San Rafael, CA 94903
Phone Number: (415) 473-6550
Fax Number: (415) 473-7432