Welcome to Online Permitting
Attention: COVID Construction Site Requirements
Online Permitting services are available. Pursuant to the County Health Officer’s April 29, 2020 Order, please comply with the Social Distancing and Construction Project Safety Protocols.
- Appendix B-1: Small Construction Project Safety Protocol
- Appendix B-2: Large Construction Project Safety Protocol
Priority shall be given to the safety of workers, residents, and inspectors. IMPORTANT! Violation of the Construction Safety Protocols that are observed by our inspectors will result in a suspension of the inspection, rescheduling of the inspection, and payment of reinspection fees. Please visit the Building and Safety Web Site for more information.
Marin County Building and Safety Permits
Apply for all building permits except for PV, ESS, and Generator permits which are not yet available on this site.
The application for these permit types can be found at: Forms and Applications.
PERMITS NOT REQUIRING PLANS AND REVIEW
Use the link below to login to our self-service automated site to apply for permits that may be issued without requiring a review.
See Permit Types Available Here
Minor Improvement Permits
- Residential Rooftop Photovoltaic Installations
- Energy Storage System Installations
- Backup Generator Installations
- New Circuits and/or Outlets
- Replace Circuits and/or Outlets
- Service Upgrade
- EV Charging Station
- Natural Gas Service
- New Plumbing and/or Fixtures
- Replace Plumbing and/or Fixtures
- New Ductwork
- Replace Ductwork
- New Mechanical Appliance
- Replace Mechanical Appliance
- Siding Replacement
- Stucco Replacement
- Non-structural Door / Window Replacement
Electronic (Photographic) Inspection Option
When a California Licensed Contractor is applying for a ‘Reroofing’ or ‘EV Charging Station’ permit, we allow the contractor to choose electronic (photographic) inspections in lieu of site inspections.
PERMITS REQUIRING PLANS AND REVIEW
Use the link below to submit an online application for building permits that require electronic plans and review prior to issuing.
See Permit Types Available Here
Area-Based Construction Permits
- Commercial Uses
- Commercial/Multifamily Residential Uses
- Commercial/Industrial Storage Uses
- Attached/Detached Accessory Uses
- Agricultural Uses
- Commercial SHELL Construction
- Commercial Non-structural Tenant Improvements
- Single Family Dwellings
- Structural Residential Remodels/Additions
- Non-structural Residential Remodels/Alterations
Flat-Rate Improvement Permits
- Commercial Coach Installation
- Uncovered Deck/Patio
- Flag/Light/Sign Pole
- Manufactured Home
- Factory/Modular Home
- Retaining Walls
- Minor Repairs
- Skylight Installation
- Structural Pool/spa/Hot Tub
- Commercial Storage Racks
- Structural Window/Door Openings
- Barge Transfer
- Above Ground Tank
- Miscellaneous Permits/Services
Office Hours: Our offices are closed to the public at the present time in response to the COVID-19 emergency. Online Permit services remain operational. Please call or email if you need assistance.
Mailing Address: 3501 Civic Center Drive, Suite 308, San Rafael, CA 94903-4157
Office Location: Marin County Civic Center, Room 308, San Rafael, CA 94903
Phone Number: (415) 473-6550
Fax Number: (415) 473-7432